Last Updated on February 2, 2021
How else do you strike fear and demand respect in the world of martial arts than with a hard-earned high ranking belt?
While rank is something that you earn along the way, quality is what you can assure right from the beginning. In this detailed article, I will share with you some of the best BJJ belts available in the market and why you shouldn’t ignore this segment of BJJ equipment.
My personal favorite is the Fuji Premium Cotton Blend BJJ Belt due to its tournament-level design and composition, but I bring to you several other options too and you can pick the one that suits you the best.
Hang tight as I take you on an explorative journey that will have a lasting impact on your training sessions and your experience with Jiu-Jitsu.
- My Picks For The Best BJJ & Jiu-Jitsu Belts - Reviewed
- 1. Fuji Premium Cotton Blend BJJ Belt – Best Overall
- 2. Elite Sports Belt For BJJ, MMA & Jiu Jitsu – Best Budget Buy
- 3. Hayabusa 2.0 Adult Jiu Jitsu Belt – Best Option For Adults
- 4. Sanabul Brazilian Pro Belts – Best in Durability
- 5. Gameness Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Belt – Best Washable Option
- 6. Ronin Poly/Cotton BJJ & Jiu Jitsu Belt – Best Mid-Priced Option
- 7. Vector Sports BJJ Pro Belts – Best 100% Cotton Product
- What Sets Apart The Best Jiu Jitsu Belts?
- Bottom Line
My Picks For The Best BJJ & Jiu-Jitsu Belts - Reviewed
The following BJJ belt review is based both on my personal experience with the brands and the general user perception of their excellence.
Let’s get started:
1. Fuji Premium Cotton Blend BJJ Belt – Best Overall
If you’re into martial arts, odds are that you’ve already come across one of Fuji’s products either in the market or you saw someone wear it to the class. Not only are their products, as the name suggests, “premium,” but also very affordable.
Their belts, like this Premium Cotton Blend BJJ Belt, boast a selection of bright and vivid colors, which eliminate any chance of confusion. The color options range from white to black and feature several shades in between, and you can easily tell the blue and purple shades apart at first sight.
Since they’re made from a cotton-based fabric, these belts are not only tough but also have a smooth touch to them. You won’t feel any discomfort with one of these tied around your waist.
Moreover, the color and folding will stand firm and not give in to the arduous hours you put into practice. You will also be pleased to know that if your previous belt loosened up or slipped from the knot, this won’t be happening with one of the Fuji belts.
Moreover, you can find them in an assortment of sizes, both usual and unusual. What else could one want?
- The colors are very impressive.
- The fabric is tough yet comfortable to wear.
- The product is very durable.
- You can use these belts for other disciplines of martial arts too.
- They are highly affordable.
- Some people have reported size issues.
Fuji is without doubt one of the best BJJ belt brands out there, not only because of the uncompromising quality standards that their products adhere to but also the wide selection in which they are available.
These BJJ belts are impressive in all ways one can fathom, they look and work just as well as one would anticipate from a leading brand, and are surprisingly affordable too.
2. Elite Sports Belt For BJJ, MMA & Jiu Jitsu – Best Budget Buy
Want a decent BJJ belt without breaking the bank? I understand, and this product is going to address your problem perfectly. Although it comes at a lower price, this does not suggest that Elite Sports Belts are not worth your admiration.
On the contrary, these belts are among the best cost-effective options in the market. Not only because they are ultra-affordable but because of how much you get in return for a small investment.
These IBJJF approved belts will get you through not only your training classes but also official tournaments and whatnot. Made from preshrunk cotton (so that you never have to worry about it shrinking), these belts are not only tough but also boast amazing color shades.
Don’t worry when you wash these, they will retain their size as it is (for obvious reasons). You can express your seniority and achievements on the dedicated stripe-bar which you will be filing as you progress through the game.
Moreover, since you won’t have to tie the belt again and again during your training sessions, you can enjoy peace of mind and instead focus your mental abilities on the lessons being taught.
- Since they are washable, you don’t have to worry about them getting dirty.
- The stripe-bar is very useful.
- The fabric is of good quality.
- The colors are vivid and easily distinguishable.
- The belts are surprisingly affordable.
- Users have reported some size issues so be sure to clear that out with the seller beforehand.
The Elite Sports Belt For BJJ, MMA & Jiu-Jitsu is among the best BJJ belts for people on a tight budget. However, despite its economic price, the features afforded are very impressive and comparable to costly products.
3. Hayabusa 2.0 Adult Jiu Jitsu Belt – Best Option For Adults
The Hayabusa 2.0 Adult Jiu-Jitsu Belt features a double-stitch throughout its length to boost its durability and sturdiness. Since the belt is made up of a cotton-based fabric, the belt is both tough and comfortable. It will easily last throughout your training era.
These adult-sized belts are meant to take some rough treatment. While they are a bit pricier than some other options on this list, they are worth the investment owing to the features they afford us. Moreover, they have a unique visual appeal too.
- The belt has a double-stitch throughout its length.
- It is made up of cotton which imparts greater strength to it.
- These belts are surprisingly lightweight and hence don’t hamper maneuverability.
- The design is aesthetically pleasing.
- It is a bit pricier than the options mentioned so far.
If you can pay a premium-level price for a premium-level product then the Hayabusa 2.0 Adult Jiu-Jitsu Belt will not disappoint as it delivers excellently in comfort, performance, and durability.
4. Sanabul Brazilian Pro Belts – Best in Durability
If you want something that lasts for ages despite the vicissitudes of the jiu-jitsu arena, then the Sanabul Brazilian Pro Belts are something to look for. Despite their high resilience and durability, they don’t cost as much as some other comparable models.
This affordability should not deceive you into thinking that this belt is any less impressive than its competitors. The product adheres perfectly with the standards of IBJJF, meaning that you can take them to tournaments as well.
The stripe section is also very convenient, allowing you to showcase your rank with ease.
- These belts can withstand hours of usage in your practice sessions.
- The stripe-bar helps showcase your rank.
- It adheres to the standards of IBJJF.
- The belts are available in an assortment of sizes.
- It is very affordable too.
- Some users report issues with the shipping, if that happens with you, ask for a replacement, they will send one at the speed of light (well not literally).
If you want something that endures the rough treatment that your training sessions throw at it then the Sanabul Brazilian Pro Belt is the one to go for, especially at such affordable rates.
5. Gameness Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Belt – Best Washable Option
Given that you’ll have to go through hell during your jiu-jitsu classes, the same can also be said for your belt. It will get dirty no matter how much you care for it. This is where the Gameness Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Belt is going to make all the difference, by being perfectly washable.
The colors on this product won’t fade off and it won’t shrink an inch no matter how many times you rinse it. It is a bit costly but since you get an ultra-durable and comfortable product, the investment is worthwhile.
- You can wash these belts as many times as you please, they won’t shrink.
- The colors don’t fade which is a relief.
- They are ultra-durable, users have stated that their belts lasted for years.
- The fabric is made up of cotton, which makes it both tough and comfortable.
- The belt is a bit pricier than some other options.
If you are willing to spend some money on a durable and non-fading product, then the Gameness Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Belt is an excellent option to look for. The best part is that it is washer-friendly and won’t be ruined even after regular rinses.
6. Ronin Poly/Cotton BJJ & Jiu Jitsu Belt – Best Mid-Priced Option
The ancient Ronins may have had a hard time in the Feudal Japanese society but you won’t be bothered with this Ronin Poly/Cotton BJJ & Jiu Jitsu Belt. Not only is it perfectly comfortable to wear, but the fabric is also highly resilient, being able to withstand rough usage with great endurance.
Moreover, the belt boasts very impressive looks and colors. But fret not, the colors won’t fade off no matter what. It is a decent mid-priced option that delivers excellence comparable to high-end products but only at a lower price.
- The belt is comfortable to wear.
- It boasts impressive aesthetics.
- The fabric is both tough and durable.
- The colors won’t fade off.
- It is a bit pricy, although not that much.
The Ronin Poly/Cotton BJJ & Jiu Jitsu Belt is a decent and cost-effective mid-priced BJJ belt that will last for ages, a truly impressive product.
7. Vector Sports BJJ Pro Belts – Best 100% Cotton Product
Made from a purely cotton-based fabric, the Vector Sports BJJ Pro Belts are perfectly lightweight and don’t hinder your movements at all. They are also very comfortable but at the same time, very resilient.
And you can wash them too, meaning that you’ll never have to settle for a dirty belt. Since the product is perfectly aligned with the standards of IBJJF, meaning that you don’t need to get another belt for your tournaments.
And best of all, you can get these belts in several BJJ-sanctioned colors, all of which are easily distinguishable.
- The product adheres to the standards laid down by IBJJF.
- Available in all of the standard BJJ colors (all distinguishable).
- The fabric is purely cotton-based.
- You can wash it with ease.
- The belt is highly durable and will withstand several hours of rough usage.
- It is a bit costly.
The Vector Sports BJJ Pro Belts are well worth your money and deliver just as much as they cost, they are durable and comfortable to wear, the perfect combination.
What Sets Apart The Best Jiu Jitsu Belts?
You’ve just signed up for Jiu-Jitsu or BJJ classes and you’re itching to get your feet on the mat and wrestle against your first opponent. Hold your horses there, it’s not that simple. Well, it is once you’re ready, but you’re far from it without proper equipment.
If you don’t pay attention to minute details, you will end up exerting more on retiring your belt after every five minutes or so rather than the actual lessons of BJJ. While you need a lot more than a decent belt to get through your classes, getting one is still a step in the right direction.
Some of the best jiu-jitsu belts available in the market have been designed specifically to help you ace the sport and not worry about size, color, re-tying, and so on.
But then, do you ever wonder... what's the difference between BJJ Gi vs No Gi? Well, that's too obvious, considering outfits, but what really sets them apart? We have an article about that and I'm sure you'll be interested to read it.
So here’s what counts:
While the sport does not factor in the size element for fighters, as even shorter players can deliver a devastating show of power, you have to consider the size of your belt.
If you’re new to the sport then you may have some trouble with the size selection, but fret not, I’ll make it simple for you. In Jiu-Jitsu, you have to wrap the belt around your waist at least twice before knot it.
This means that if you buy a belt too short, it will not fit you perfectly and if it is too long, the strings will slouch besides the knot. No matter what you do, never buy a bigger belt. No, bigger is not better, it’s the worst.
If the strands are slouching, your opponent will take advantage of them and deliver a grapple you’re not likely to forget anytime soon. The best option is to seek expert advice in this section or ask your peers what size they are wearing.
If you can’t do either, contact the providers and seek guidance from them based on the sizes they provide.
Color Is Not A Matter Of Preference
It’s your first day, and you walk in the class with a black belt on. While it may look the coolest (and why shouldn’t it), there is a ranking system in all martial arts including BJJ. You have to respect this hierarchy and get the color that defines your level in the game.
Train hard and one day, you’ll get to wear a black belt too but for now, you’ll have to do with whatever shade you’re assigned based on your skill. Moreover, the color should not fade, as that will beat the whole purpose, wouldn’t it?
Lastly, you should ensure that the belt colors are vivid and easily distinguishable. Otherwise, you will create confusion about your rank in the sport and may even subject yourself to humiliation. Hate to tell you, but it happens, trust me, I’ve drunk from this bitter cup.
Thickness Is Also Very Important
The thickness of the belt will ensure that it doesn’t loosen up from its knot or slide off. There is no definite answer when it comes to thickness, the best way to make an informed decision here is to check out what your club fellows are wearing.
You can even try on some belts and get a better feel of them before you settle on one (or just ask the customer service rep from the provider’s website).
Before we end, let’s take a quick look at this interesting YouTube video that explains the belt system in Jiu-Jitsu & BJJ:
The aforementioned BJJ belt reviews were meant to enlighten the readers about the options available in the market, and how to pick one for themselves.
As mentioned earlier, my vote is in the bank of Fuji Premium Cotton Blend BJJ Belt due to its outstanding composition and performance. But if you’re on a tight budget, the Elite Sports Belt For BJJ, MMA & Jiu-Jitsu is a pretty fine option too.
No matter what product you pick for yourself, just consider the points I highlighted in the buyer’s guide section to avoid any disappointments later on.
Until next time... Don’t forget to be awesome! 😉