Klitschko excited to fight again at Madison Square Garden

February 11th, 2015 | By

The king of the heavyweight division is set to make his much-anticipated return to the United States.

Wladimir Klitschko, who has had some version of the heavyweight title since 2000, will defend his current collection of titles (WBA, WBO, IBF, IBO and The Ring Magazine) against Bryant Jennings on April 25 at Madison Square Garden.

Klitschko (65-3, 53 KOs) made his New York debut in 2000 with a second-round stoppage of David Bostice on the undercard of the Lennox Lewis-Michael Grant fight.

“It feels like the first time,” Klitschko, 38, said at last week’s news conference. “It feels so good to be back here. I had this feeling and excitement … to be at Madison Square Garden is a dream.

“It is a dream of every performer and entertainer, to perform in the main event at Madison Square Garden. This is the high stage of entertainment.”

Since his last fight in the U.S. (2008, also at MSG) Klitschko has fought in Germany and once in Russia, in front of large crowds in soccer-sized stadiums.

Still, the lure of fighting again at MSG is something that certainly intrigues Klitschko.

“I have a lot of connections to this city, I used to live here, I used to spend a lot of time here,” he said. “It puts a lot of responsibility as well for me to keep having the same level of performance that I have set up.

“I’ve learned a lot in the past years in facing different opponents.”

Klitschko has won 21 consecutive fights since being stopped by Lamon Brewster in 2004.

The man faced with the challenge of trying to derail the Klitschko train is Jennings (19-0, 10 KOs). The question facing Jennings is whether he’s ready for this level of opposition.

“He has the qualities of Rocky Balboa,” Klitschko said of Jennings.

Jennings is coming off of a split-decision victory over Mike Perez last July.

“History will definitely be made,” Jennings said. “This is going to end in a knockout, so it is either going to be me or him. … One of us is going to lose, but, guess what, I don’t think it is going to me.”

Golovkin opens camp for Feb 21 defense

December 22nd, 2014 | By

Following a world wind International Press Tour with stops in Monte Carlo, Astana, London and Mexico City, WBA/IBO and WBC ‘Interim’ Middleweight World Champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin has opened training camp in Big Bear Lake, California for his upcoming world title defense against two-time world title challenger Martin Murray, the WBC’s #1 ranked middleweight.

Under the watchful eye of longtime trainer Abel Sanchez, Golovkin is slated to defend his titles on February 21st at the Salle des Etoiles in Monte Carlo.

“It was a very busy time these last few weeks but I liked spending time with the media and fans all over the world,” said Golovkin on Monday, speaking from the World Boxing Council Convention in Las Vegas, Nevada. “I look forward to starting training camp with my coach and putting on another great show in Monte Carlo.”

Stated Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions, “The response Gennady has received all over the world these last few weeks has been extraordinary. From both media and fans it’s clear that he’s the fastest rising international star in boxing.”

“Gennady is also anxious to start training and looks forward to the biggest test of his career facing Martin Murray who is rated at the top of the middleweight division.”

The Five-City International Press Tour for Golovkin will culminate in Los Angeles with details of a January press conference to be announced shortly.

GGG-mania takes over Kazakhstan

November 26th, 2014 | By

Photos: Team Golovkin

Unbeaten WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin received a hero’s welcome in his native Kazakhstan over the weekend. On Friday Golovkin (31-0, 28 KOs) addressed a massive crowd of supporters at Nazarbayev University in the capital city of Astana. On Saturday, GGG held a formal press conference in Astana to discuss with the local media his upcoming world title defense against Martin Murray slated for Saturday, February 21st in Monte Carlo.

“Martin is a worthy opponent and is the number one middleweight in Europe as of today,” stated Golovkin. “I think it will be a fierce fight. He proved to be a very strong boxer during his last fight with Spada.”

The native of Karaganda also spoke of his interest in fighting in Kazakhstan.

In the coming weeks Golovkin will head to London, England and Mexico City, Mexico in addition to Los Angeles, California on his International Press Tour.

The London stop will include a face-off with Murray in front of the vast European media. The Mexico City jaunt will include an official presentation by the World Boxing Council of his “interim” middleweight championship in front of a huge gathering of Latin media.

Golovkin will prepare for the in Big Bear Lake, California under the guidance of long-time trainer Abel Sanche

It’s official! Golovkin-Rubio on October 18

August 20th, 2014 | By

WBA/IBO middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin will defend his world titles against WBC interim middleweight beltholder Marco Antonio “Veneno” Rubio on Saturday, October 18th at the StubHub Center in Carson, California and televised Live on HBO. Presented by K2 Promotions and GGG Promotions in association with Promociones Del Pueblo, the scheduled 12-round championship battle will headline a card billed as “Mexican Style.”

“I’m very excited to fight in California,” said Golovkin. “I always enjoy attending fights at the StubHub Center and look forward to a “Mexican style” fight against Marco Antonio Rubio.”

Said Rubio, “I’m excited to fight another world champion. I always accept the biggest challenges and without a doubt this will be the greatest of my career. I will show Golovkin a real “Mexican Style” fight on October 18th.”

“We’re looking forward to promoting the West Coast debut of Gennady Golovkin,” stated Tom Loeffler, Managing Director of K2 Promotions. “His growing popularity across the country compels us to bring this highly anticipated fight to the StubHub Center, which has hosted so many exciting boxing events in recent years. Marco Antonio Rubio is among the toughest fighters in boxing and this battle with Gennady should provide fireworks from the opening bell.”

“It will be a tremendous fight,” said Oswaldo Kuchle of Promociones Del Pueblo. “I can assure you that Rubio will make this a war.”

Sporting a record of 30-0-0 with 27 knockouts, the highest knockout ratio (90%) of any active world champion, Golovkin has become a must-see international attraction with his aggressive all-action style and breathtaking knockouts.

On July 26th at Madison Square Garden, Golovkin stopped two-time former world champion Daniel Geale in the third round with an extraordinary knockout punch that will be at the top of most “Knockout of the Year” media and fan lists.

Against Geale, Golovkin made his 11th title defense while scoring his 17th knockout in a row. Golovkin will head to Big Bear, California next week to begin preparations under the watchful eye of longtime trainer Abel Sanchez

Fighting out of Torreon, Mexico and training in Oxnard, California with former world champion Robert Garcia, Rubio has compiled a record of 59-6-1 with 51 knockouts against some of the best fighters in the sport.

The hard-hitting Rubio has faced Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., Kelly Pavlik, David Lemieux, Kassim Ouma, Frankie Randall and Jose Luis Zertuche.

The 34-year-old Rubio is currently 16-1 in his last seventeen bouts most recently stopping Italian veteran Dominic Spada in the tenth round on April 5th in Chihuahua, Mexico, winning the WBC Interim Middleweight Title.

Klitschko, Pulev to fight Sept. 6

August 14th, 2014 | By

By Dan Rafael

Heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko’s mandatory defense against Kubrat Pulev will take place Sept. 6 at the O2 World arena in Hamburg, Germany, Klitschko’s K2 Promotions announced Thursday.

“Kubrat Pulev has an impressive record as an amateur and as well as professional. He has very good skills and I will definitely not underestimate him,” Klitschko said. “I am looking forward to boxing in Hamburg. Everybody knows I have a special relationship to this city and the atmosphere in the O2 World has always been unbelievable.”

[+] EnlargeWladimir Klitschko

Martin Rose/Bongarts/Getty ImagesWladimir Klitschko will make his 17th title defense when he faces unbeaten Kubrat Pulev on Sept. 6.

Klitschko (62-3, 53 KOs), 38, of Ukraine, who will be making his 17th title defense, will be boxing in Hamburg for the eighth time as a professional, including his pro debut in 1996 and his wipeout unanimous decision against David Haye in their 2011 title unification bout.

Klitschko’s 16 successful defenses during his second title reign are the third most in heavyweight history behind only Joe Louis (25) and Larry Holmes (20), and his eight-year-plus reign is second all-time to Louis’ record 11 years, 8 months, 8 days. Klitschko, a 1996 Olympic gold medalist, moved to 23-2 overall in world title fights with a one-sided fifth-round knockout of Australia’s Alex Leapai, a mandatory challenger, on April 26 in Oberhausen, Germany.

Pulev (20-0, 11 KOs), 33, of Bulgaria, a former European champion, earned his mandatory challenger status in August 2013 with a unanimous decision against American Tony Thompson, who had twice been knocked out by Klitschko in mandatory title fights.

Since becoming the mandatory challenger, Pulev, known as “The Cobra,” has fought twice, scoring a fourth-round knockout of Joey Abell, who knocked him down, in December followed by a third-round knockout of Ivica Perkovic on April 5.

“I will get the titles. I am ready to replace Wladimir Klitschko as the world champion,” Pulev said. “This fight is the highlight of my career. I will show the fans worldwide that Klitschko is no invincible machine and fulfill my dream. I have worked hard for this chance.”

K2 Promotions on Tuesday won the purse bid to gain promotional control of the fight, offering $7,250,131 to easily top the only other, which was $5,290,144 by Sauerland Event, Pulev’s promoter. As champion, Klitschko is entitled at 80 percent of the winning bid ($5,800,105) and Pulev is entitled to the remaining 20 percent (a career-high $1,450,026